Award Overview: “10 Under 20: Innovators to Watch” is an initiative of the CE Week in partnership with the New York City Economic Development Corporation. The Award is intended to provide recognition to 10 individuals (between the ages of 13 and 19) for developing products that demonstrate exceptional creativity, user design, scalability, civic mindedness and exemplify an application of STEAM (science, technology, engineering arts, and math) and related fields. This may include innovations that may be categorized as being applications in media, technology, fashion, bioengineering, digital arts, health, manufacturing, product design, industrial design, clean technology, and other industries or sectors. Award winners may receive in-kind prizes, media promotion and other benefits through the Award. Winners will be notified by mid-June and will be invited to attend a reception at CE Week NY on June 24th at the Metropolitan Pavilion where they will be presented with their awards.
Criteria: Applications will be judged by a group of community members representing broad and diverse industries relating to Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM). Applicants should submit an existing project they’ve developed that meets the judging criteria. Applicants will be evaluated based on their demonstrated contribution to the general field of innovation. An application includes the following completed materials: application form, recommendation form (optional), photo, video or website of project and parental consent form (if applicable). Specifically, evaluators will review the following for each applicant:
- Creativity and Innovation (25%): How creative and unique is the submission?
- User Interface and Design (25%): Is the project easy to use, understandable and clear in its mission?
- STEAM (25%): How well does the project apply learnings from the Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Art and Math curriculum?
- Civic Mindedness (15%): How will your application improve the quality of life for New Yorkers?
- Scalability (10%): Does the project have what it takes to become the stepping stone for a commercial project?
*To apply, you must be between the ages of 13 and 19 years of age on June 5th at 11:59 PM EDT. In addition, all individuals participating must be either currently enrolled in high school or a two or four year accredited college or university in the 5 boroughs of New York City or be a permanent resident of New York City and enrolled in a two or four year accredited college outside of the 5 boroughs. Minors must identify themselves on their application and will require parental or legal guardian consent to participate.
* Projects that were the result of a team effort may be submitted for an award. Teams are limited to submitting one application form that lists all affiliated team members. Any application form that contains a list of multiple team members must identify a single delegate as the individual eligible to receive a 10 Under 20 award. Recommendation letters (optional) should reflect the recommender’s familiarity with the teams work, process and character.
* Applicants are solely responsible for the intellectual property of their ideas including the Project used to apply for the Award. Applicants have complete discretion over what details they provide Administrators and partners with. Applicants must exercise discretion while providing Project details and by signing the Terms & Conditions verify that they possess the knowledge that the provided details of their Project may be made public. Applicants who do not wish to have certain project details disclosed to the public should refrain from including such details in their application.