1. What is America’s Got Geek? A fun, new contest at CE Week NY to find America’s next great YouTube Product Reviewer. It’s run in partnership with CE Week NY and getgeeked.
2. Are there any eligibility requirements? To be eligible to enter America’s Got Geek you must be 18 years old or over and be a member of getgeeked. You also must be available to attend CE Week NY on June 25th at the Metropolitan Pavilion if you are selected as a finalist.
3. What do I need to do to enter? To enter the America’s Got Geek competition, just follow the steps below:
a. First, fill out the getgeeked Membership Form at http://getgeeked.tv/membership/. Skip this if you’re already a member.
b. Second, record yourself reviewing any tech-related product.
c. Third, click here to upload your video to us and fill out the information we ask for there.
4. What are the key dates?
• June 12: Video Submission Deadline
• June 17: Finalists Announced
• June 25: Live Competition and Awards Ceremony
5. What are the requirements for the videos? Video submissions cannot exceed 4 minutes in length. Video submissions containing inappropriate language and/or content will not be considered. Accepted video formats include MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, and MPG.
6. What happens if I’m selected as a finalist? If you’re selected as a finalist, you will be required to review a product live on CE Week TV at CE Week NY on June 25th. You will be asked to select one product from a list of products being showcased by CE Week exhibitors. Once a product is selected it is not available for other finalists to select. Finalists will receive the products they selected a week in advance of CE Week NY to prepare their product review for the event. The live product reviews will take place from noon to 1pm at CE Week NY on Thursday, June 25th. Final product reviews will be conducted in front of a live audience and broadcast live on CE Week TV. A panel of judges consisting of technology journalists, YouTube personalities, industry analysts, content marketing specialists, and PR professionals will select the winner following the presentations.
7. What can I win? Great gear! We’re still rounding up exactly what you can win, but all five finalists will receive special gift bags with some of the awesome gear being showcased at CE Week NY and the winner will walk away with some extra special goodies. The winner will also have the opportunity to post a weekly video review of a new tech product for the tech blog, TechnologyTell.com for six months following the event.
8. Any tips? One of our judges, Warren Bowman, has been doing YouTube product reviews for years. You’ll find his tips and tricks on the submission page and you should definitely check out his YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/bwonedotcom.
Most “How To” videos for this subject on YouTube are about getting products to review and not producing good product review videos, but we did find a couple pretty good ones from the folks at TechnoBuffalo. They’re a few years old, but the basics don’t really get old.
Ask The Buffalo: Advice for Aspiring Tech Reviewers, Part 1 –
Ask The Buffalo: Advice for Aspiring Tech Reviewers, Part 2 –
9. Anything else? Yes! And this is important. The idea is to have fun, so do your best and don’t stress!